2020 SESSION FOUR: Ethics and Discernment + Clinical Aspects of the Ethical and Religious Directives
Recorded On: 02/07/2020
Ethics and Discernment
Nathaniel Blanton Hibner and Diarmuid Rooney
The objective is to introduce participants to the extensive history of ethics and moral theology. It will also situate the role of discernment in all ethical decision making. The themes include:
- What do we mean by “ethics” and “morality”?
- When did the Catholic moral and ethical theology begin? How has it evolved?
- Where is “discernment” situated in moral and ethical decision making?
Clinical Aspects of the Ethical and Religious Directives
Nathaniel Blanton Hibner
The objective is to introduce the Ethical and Religious Directives as a leadership resource and to articulate a basic process for ethical decision making in the health care setting. The themes include:
- What are the Ethical and Religious Directives (ERDs)?
- How do the Ethical and Religious Directives (ERDs) define the moral and ethical framework for Catholic health care in the United States?
- How does our understanding of ethics play out in provider/patient relationships and in specific issues at the beginning and end of life?